Jun 11, 2013

I Hoard Classes

... or at least I think I do.

I listened to the Paperclipping Roundtable podcast #149 about online scrapbooking classes and it inspired me to take an inventory of the classes I've purchased since I started scrapbooking 12 years ago.

I truly took inventory.  I checked my hard drive, checked my email folders, checked the online sites I frequently learn from ... and put it all on a spread sheet.  I found 37 classes that I have purchased over the years.  I'm sure there are a few that I've missed.  That doesn't really seem like a lot for 12 years, but as I typed notes and links and passwords for all the classes on my spread sheet, I realized that I've probably only finished a handful of them.  By finished, I mean going through the entire class and absorbing all the content, whether it be videos or pdfs.

I got a bit bummed about some of the learning I've been missing by not entirely finishing a class.  I thought I might challenge myself to not buy any more classes until I finish those I've purchased already.  But heck, new classes keep my brain going, they're my motivation, my mojo, my therapy!  And I've already got three classes in mind that I just need to take in the upcoming months alone.

So I will continue to hoard online classes, but hopefully with a more conscious effort to glean all the information I can from them.

And to help me do so, I've placed a shortcut to my spread sheet on my desktop, so all my class links are right there, at my fingertips.  Literally.



So next time I need to know how to get that perfect digital shadow from Peppermint Granberg, or want more inspiration for scrapbooking the grid from Lisa Dickinson, I can just grab my spread sheet and learn from that class I've had on my hard drive all along!





3 comments:

  1. And this is why I don't sign up for them! LOL!! I know I will NEVER finish them!! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I've got 38 classes just at big picture classes, not counting shimelle's classes or Jessica sprague!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Cate - I'm realizing the 37 probably isn't a huge amount ... and now I just watched the promo for Ali's 12 week class ..... oh gosh .... looks GREAT!

      Delete

I love sharing creative stuff and would love to visit your blog! Thanks for stopping by!